Friday, October 16, 2009

Grad School

Well, I got my first application in, except for letters of recommendation, last weekend. I think I can use the same basic essays, tweaked to fit the different programs, over and over again. I took care of the GRE a while ago (September 11, for good luck), so it's nice to have that off the table.

Eleven apps left.

I did a budget for my academic expenses for the next six months, and it's a little ridiculous. Including application fees, GRE scores, transcripts, letter of recommendation service, one college visit, and flight & registration for one conference, it's over $2,000. That's half of my quarterly income.

On the bright side, I am going to a conference. I spent the summer doing research at UCLA and I submitted a poster to the Society for Research on Adolescence conference - technically two, since I'm last author on another. They were both accepted and I'll be sharing a room with my advisor here's other grad students. The potential for hijinks is high.

This quarter is killing me a little. Two research projects, a seminar, a regular class, and grad apps. And work. It's like taking six classes. Next quarter I'll be wrapping up the projects, taking a grad class and a regular class, doing grant apps, and work. I do not know when to quit. Fortunately my low-commitment social life allows for some flexibility. And grad school is a lot of work, so this is probably good preparation for it.

I really hope I get into good schools.

No comments: