Tuesday, December 23, 2008

New Beginnings


The California Crafter's Club of Etsy is doing a "New Beginnings" contest this month and it sparked some thought. I've been working on a "prayer" shawl for my grandmother for Christmas. (I say "prayer" because I don't, personally, pray, but I had the familials each "bless" the yarn I'd be using for it on Thanksgiving.) I can't enter it into the contest, because it's not for sale, but this particular project has certainly made me think.

This is a time of new beginnings. Craftwise, it's a new project - and every new project thrills me just a little. Blending the yarns is fun, but there's something about turning that one-dimensional string into something that can wrap around all three dimensions of a person. I've also never made a shawl before, and I hope it's wide enough. There will be fringe at some point! Another thing I haven't done in a while, at least.

The shawl is also a symbol of a new stage of my grandmother's life - the stage where she has cancer. She was diagnosed after her annual mammogram, and I'm taking it quite seriously. She starts chemo next month and asked for a prayer shawl specifically. I'm doing what I can. It's a new stage for me, too - I've never felt so threatened by illness before.

And, of course, the new year approaches. I will begin working in the psych labs, join the honor society, play a cop onstage, turn 21 (at long, long last), and start new projects. I will continue to love a wonderful man, run a small but successful business, attend to my family, kick ass at school, and be the best teacher I can be. A year ago, I would have been amazed at all the new beginnings that have happened since last New Year's Eve. I can only hope that the next year proves as fruitful.
~~~
You can't buy the shawl, so here's a different handmade white thing (by me!): Organic Natural Brushed Cotton Scarf
A cool shawl by a fellow Calfornian: Micro Granny Square Poncho in Sand
Another cool shawl by a fellow Californian: Winter Capelet

No comments: