Saturday, January 31, 2009

B is for Blooming (and Bullshit)

The hard-won slaughter of a week's hunting. I always seem to make the catch on Sunday.

I am, it is generally recognized, a straightforward and no-bullshit person. I am aggressive. I am focused. I can be impatient, demanding, and brusque. This presentation, this lifestyle, these choices are not always comfortable for others to experience, to understand. This is by the nature, the intention, of the beast I am. Make no mistake, I know that I am both brutal and savage.

I aim to be a challenger, not in a competitive sense but in a sense of mastery. A tenet of my belief system is that we only have one life, and it is not worthwhile to get hung up on the politics of social relations. Taboos, social expectations are constructions that do not exist so much for a purpose. Their utility is far outweighed by the damages of silence, conformity, inauthenticity. I wasn't fully - "properly" - socialized into the system. I don't see why we have to buy in if the goal is full experience of the limited resource of life. Isn't it better to work hard and endure pain so that you can grow stronger and do more? Aren't the rewards of the expansion of your potential worth the trials you choose to undertake? Isn't the view from the top of the mountain worth the struggle up?

No comments: