Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm not a gamer, but...


Fable II is super fun.

Why is this surprising? Well, I'm usually a very linear player. My goal is to get to the end. Period. I only want the minimum gear I need to get there. I don't want to spend 5 hours making sure I got everything, I don't want to "explore," I don't want to run off the trail, I don't want open content. I feel a little guilty that I game at all - there are so many other things I could do with my time - so why spend time trying to be perfect at something with no tangible rewards?

For some reason, Fable is different. Customizing the character isn't tiresome. The side quests feel worthwhile. Waiting for "daytime" to come so I can go shopping isn't as much of a hassle - I usually get an in-game "job" and work until "morning".

There are a lot of factors to stay on top of - your attractiveness, your moral purity (seriously), your gold, your gear, your jobs, travel time. For some reason, it isn't intimidating. Maybe I'm becoming more of a gamer - I have had subscriptions to World of Warcraft, and I recently beat LittleBigPlanet - but even with the extensive load screens, it's been a lot of fun.

Also, you get an ADORABLE dog companion who does useful stuff. Major props to the guys and ladies who designed the movements and expressions - it's easy to get attached to/appreciate it as a sidekick. Beloved Boy's dogs (on different characters) are Buttercup and Nutmeg (or Nutters).

A hardware note: I started playing Fable on a large, dying TV. Next round was on a smaller, dying TV. Beloved Boy got a 32" HDTV for Christmas. I am NEVER going back to Fables on analog. You can read things, understand the symbols, and appreciate the gorgeous graphics. So nice.

No comments: